Tuesday, July 25, 2006

There's no place like... hell?

I was going to write this out last night, after I put the kids to bed. But I laid down with them to say prayers and woke up shortly after midnight, fully clothed with my underwire bra so firmly implanted in my arm pit, I thought I might have to have it surgically removed. Sadly, after putting on pajamas and actually going to bed, I tossed and turned for four straight hours. At least I was lying down.

To avoid a similar mishap tonight, I took a nap in the afternoon while Almin played with the kids at the park. I laid down with the kids, but didn't crawl under the covers and cranked the AC so it'd be good and cold. I still fell asleep. Fortunately, I woke up just three and a half hours later at about 10pm. Unfortunately, I seem to be suffering from hypothermia.

Yes, it's good to be home.

As I have still yet to receive any prenatal care (and for those interested, I am now entering the second trimester), I called over to the hospital here on base. I was told by the OB clinic that I am not eligible to be seen there. I was given a memo that explained I needed to make an initial appointment with the Family Practice clinic and they would then in turn refer me to a Korean doctor. So, dutifully, I called over the Family practice clinic. There I learned that I can only be seen by them through a "same day appointment." Same day appointments are booked early in the morning. If you want one, you need to get on the horn to them no later than 8am. I, by the way, was calling them at exactly 8am and, I was told, there were no same day appointments available.

No problem, I thought, I'll just call back early tomorrow morning. Except. I was then told, I am not eligible to make any same day appointments before 10am.

"Huh? If I call after 10 all the same day appointments will be filled."

"Yes, ma'am."

"So, let me get this straight. I need a same day appointment to be seen by your clinic. To get a same day appointment I need to call before 8am. But I am not eligible to make a same day appointment until after 10am, when they are all booked. Correct?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Anyone ever read Catch 22? I swear to the good lord above, this is how the damn military works. It is amazing that we are able to blow shit up and invade other countries and provoke despotic leaders into launching half ass missiles. Really. I would think with the complete stupidity in which our military functions, we wouldn't be able to fight our way out of a underdeveloped country. Oh, shit. That Iraq thing again.

When I inquired about just getting that referral without the same day appointment, I was then told that the Family Practice clinic does not refer patients to Korean doctors. So I asked, how would I go about finding out which doctors to go to and was told that really wasn't something she knew anything about, after all, "I'm not at a Korean hospital."

I'm not sure if I'll be getting any prenatal care. I'll probably give birth at home with Mike in the background screaming, "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies." Then the North will invade and I'll resort to saying silly things like "As God as my witness, I'll never go hungry again."

Yeah. I love it here. It's good to be home.

5 Comments:

Blogger thordora said...

god...that's almost as bad as being Canadian....

youv'e done this twice, you'll be fine. All my OB.GYN ever did was check my pee and the heartbeat. That is all. I could have done that on my own I'm sure.

9:15 AM  
Blogger California Girl said...

Wow. Nice to see things have not changed. Do you remember when I was stationed there and had that kidney infection that nearly went septic...and I though I would die? Yep, I encountered the same day appt. crap you did. (Although not the after 10 am part.) But I did call at 7:55 am to find them already full even though they supposedly don't answer to take appts until 8 am. CRAZY! So what are you going to do? And why on earth can you not be seen by a base doctor? You're going to let an Ajima deliver? Well, wait, that might be better than the military come to think of it...But if your baby comes out looking Korean, I'd yell, "Switched at BIRTH!!!"

1:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

That is the most back asswards thing I have ever heard. I live in a military town and I've heard from friends who are military wives that getting a dr.'s appt. is ridiculous. Just take your prenatal vitamins, have your hubby finger you once a month to check to see if everything's okay and you're set to go!

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home