Friday, June 23, 2006

Fudge It

One of the best things about coming home, the thing that actually makes it all worthwhile, is watching my children connect with the older generations of family. My children and my 82 year old, blind and wheelchair dependent grandfather love, absolutely love to go to Chuck E. Cheese's together. My kids run back and forth from the games and rides, carrying their hard won tickets for Papa's safe keeping, and refuel with more tokens and the occasional bite or two of shitty pizza. Papa sits and eats plate after plate of salad bar, dishing out tokens, and listening for the squeals of pure glee coming from a magical place he can only hear and smell and feel. It brings a light back into his eyes like nothing else can.

After our Chuck E. Cheese adventure today, we went for ice cream sundaes at the Buffalo. Reilly Kate insisted that she order some spaghetti before her ice cream and who was I to argue. She ate several bites and then asked for her ice cream. Papa said to her, "I haven't seen you eat any of that spaghetti yet!"

To which she replied, without missing a beat, "That's because you are blind, Papa."

I don't think my grandfather has laughed that hard in literally years. He laughed and laughed and laughed. Then he dug into an enormous banana split with double extra hot fudge and ate it down to the very last bite.

And that is why I brave a 15 hour flight with two small children and a cranky husband, a 14 hour time difference, inlaws who make me want to jump off the roof of the Sears Tower, and stay in my parents' cold ass basement for a month. It really is the simple things. Like hot fudge and cross generational connections.

20 Comments:

Blogger Les Becker said...

I don't even know how to tell you how much this post just said to me. My 85 year old father just paid the entire bill for one year of my daughter's voice lessons. Because he would have laughed that hard at a Chucky Cheese, too.

Thank you.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

I wish I had a grandfather like that ... one I could remember. The only grandfather I remember was an alocholic who I saw once a year, MAYBE. I didn't like him.

Your children are absolutely and positively blessed with theirs ... and so are you!

1:51 AM  
Blogger apositivepessimist said...

oops again me with the barking out laughs.

ahh I never was blessed with a grandfather either.

a classic moment between yours. nice.

2:27 AM  
Blogger thordora said...

My father has had the same type of "reaction" to his girls. It's so incredible to watch-after losing my mother, and the downward spiral that ensued, it's so freaking awesome to see them smile, really smile with their entire being.

And it's so worth it.

Good post.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Nicole @ OrWhateverYouDo said...

Where are you at in the states? Do you miss the smell of it over there? lol

Great Chuck-e-cheese story...

2:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

wonderful post... well worth the trip to create memories that special.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

I love hearing tales about people getting together with their families and the good times had by all. I used to always have my great-grandfather in stitches over everything. This from a man who never smiled or laughed at anyone but me!! Glad you're having a great time! Oh, and that Chuck E. Cheese story...I always bring a baggie with me to help my kids collect their tickets so they can wind up with junk that breaks before we even get home, lol.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

YOU'RE HOME! OMG I knew you were on the way, didn't realize you were home and functioning! We have to get together!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People say "you gotta love kids for their honesty." I disagree -- you gotta love kids when they say funny inappropriate shit like that!

Great story.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

You can't make better memories than that. Grandparents rock. Your post gave me an idea for a post for tomorrow.

Thanks, hun. ;)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

I gave you some linky love on my blog. I hope you don't mind. =)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

How awesome is that? Love the post, thanks for sharing.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Chandira said...

Never been to Chucky Cheese, perhaps I should. :-)

Have just done a week's bus tour with all MY inlaws, and I now the feeling.. A month?? Oy!

Enjoy it. I get so homesick sometimes.. sigh..

12:32 PM  
Blogger ditzymoi said...

i wish my kids had memories of their grandpa ...im glad youre able to give your kids that :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Congrats on your perfect post recognition - it's a great one for sure. I laughed maybe as hard as Papa.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Great post! Congratulations on your Perfect Post Award. You deserved it! :)

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» »

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! laser tatoo removal pleasanton 821-000 8g console humidifier Muslim penis Clomid day 3 versus day 5 http://www.pictureofbmwcar.info/What_are_the_long_term_effects_of_prozac.html Bontril replacement T-shirt sale Atla...it card merchant services vitamin for healthy hair

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... cindy crawford &aposs skin care line Clickbank affiliate search engine software travel south america sports nip slip brakes volvo

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home