Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Making me wet

It's been raining here all damn day. All. Day. God awful. Gray. Dreary. I'm exhausted from it. And this isn't even the rainy season yet. Just wait. It'll get worse. It always does.

Which brings me to my bitch of the day.

You'd think that a $4,000 a month apartment wouldn't leak when it rained. You'd think that you could expect, from paying $4,000 a month in rent, a safe haven from the rain. That you could sit in your 1800 square foot urban paradise in complete arid happiness while it pissed down from the heavens and flooded the streets. You'd think you could look down from your $4,000 a month concrete tower and see the peasants scrambling to build their ark whilst you sipped hot tea with warm fuzzy slippers on your tootsies. You'd think you'd at least be frickin' dry for that kind of greenbacks. Wouldn't you?

My apartment is flooding. It's hardly even raining in comparison to what lay ahead with the monsoons season just weeks away and this place is flooding. I'd got puddles in my apartment where in places that obviously lack window seals. I really can't believe it.

I'm convinced that there must be some kind of self drying button. Just hit it and a big fan comes down from the ceiling and blows scorching air onto the puddles instantly evaporating them. Has to be. With the kind of money we're spending on this place -- oh, and that would be the collective we, my fellow Americans -- this here is paid for with taxpayers' dollars.

I'm off to go look for that button. Just in case I cannot find it, someone please start composing a refund letter. I think we're getting screwed on this one.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacCannell said...

Wow! I can almost not believe that your house leaks! Almost. So you have caulking problems? Problems with the caulk? Well I won't be the first to say Korean caulk ain't as good as the Western kind. Or so I've hoid.

6:41 AM  
Blogger California Girl said...

You're apt. must have been built by the same guy that put up those mirrors you talked about a while back!

I can hear it now, you call the property management people and they say, "hhh...." I don't know how to write the sound, but you know the one, the tight lipped intake of breath as if to say, "yeah whatever." And no matter how much Korean you know, when you hear that sound, you just know, know that things are not about to go your way. Followed by them saying whatever it is you want to hear. Followed up by no action that is helpful to you.

Ahh..those were the good ol' days..LOL I'm saving to come visit! :)

6:51 AM  
Blogger thordora said...

I hear you on the rain. Freaking 10 days of it. At least I fixed my gutter.

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to fuck up windows that bad. Good to see that kind of dedication. :P

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Korean
I know that problem exactly.

When they attached the window ceiling, they did not do caulking things around the window.

You know why?

It is necessary, but very expensive.

So... you do not have caulking.

Do not waste your time to find the self-dry button.

You should go building management office and order it.

They will not do that immediately.

You need to beg actually. whining kind...

The rainy season ccame already this year and unfortunately and certainly long lasting this year.

Hurry up!

You know Korean style.

I bet that when you ask caulking, they will bring silicon instead of other strong material.

Make them work properly!!!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

$4,000 a MONTH????? US dollars???? Oh my gawd! I lived in an old farm house once that leaked badly ... it was no fun! I feel for you!

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a leaky place paid for by American taxpayers, too! Gettin' one problem-window looked at tomorrow...

10:44 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Holy smokes, Heather, your landlord is making a killing. We don't pay that much for the same apartment - and our windows don't leak.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home