Friday, July 28, 2006

It Rained, It Poured for 40 Days-ee Days-ees

It's been raining here pretty much without reprieve the entire time we've been back. This monsoon season is the worst Seoul's seen in something like 20 years. The flooding is bad. Hundreds have died in the North, about 50 down here in the South. It's serious, actually.

Here on my hill, I've got the kids standing lookout for an ark to come floating down the Han River. Not that an ark would do us any good really. I doubt we'd get picked up and taken aboard. But at least I could stop checking the weather forecasts to find out when the rains will stop (we're on our 38th day of rain here, by the way, with no end in sight).

I've got water leakage near all my windows because, no, I didn't bother to follow any advice on caulking. Thankfully, most of our stuff is stored in waterproof plastic bins. The air inside is muggy and stale, but I can't really open any windows to allow "fresh" air (if there is actually such a thing in Seoul) in. Somehow, amazingly, the kids have gotten colds. Nothing too serious. Runny nose and cough. Considering all the fighting they've been doing lately, it'll be a shock if they don't wind up with broken bones.

Needless to say, we haven't ventured out much. Trapped inside a high rise apartment with two young children and a dog that needs to be walked every three hours despite the constant torrential downpour is starting to take its toll on my sanity. If it goes on much longer I'm sticking Truman in the crockpot, decorating my children with tempora paints and fruity snacks, picking up pipe smoking and writing cubist poetry. Then I'll gather all the expat freaks in Seoul to come entertain and excite me in my salon, 504 Rue da Hyundai Hometown.

Now, who wants to fly out here and be my Alice?

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

OMG I despise rain! I feel for you. Sending Noah your way, sweets!

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Decks patios driveways rockville nebraska

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home