Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Love it

Someone mistook me for a teenaged babysitter today. I heard him ask Reilly Kate, "Do you have a babysitter now?"

"No," she told him.

"Well, who's that in your house? Looks like a babysitter," he insisted.

"Who? That? That's just my MOM!" she giggled.

Of course, that someone was Kevin from Planet Weird so I'm not so sure I should take the compliment seriously. Perhaps he's trying to just butter me up and get on my good side.

They're still at their over the fence summer courtship. Every single day he comes out and sits on his swing, the two of them talking. Every single day he invites her to hop the fence and come swing on his swing. Every day I tell her no, his yard isn't fenced in, she is only five and therefore cannot go over to his yard. Yesterday I even invited him over to ours. I felt all warm and fuzzy after his mistaking me for a teenager. But he's far too shy or something for that.

"No thank you," drawing out the last two words with such a strange emphasis I know there is more to it. Perhaps it violates some mating custom on their planet.

Speaking of folks from Planet Weird, Reilly Kate and Roman were discussing who her boyfriend really is.

"You're boyfriend is Kevin," said my three and a half year old boy. I just have to wonder where the hell he even heard such a term and how he figured out what it meant. And what floozy is he the boyfriend to?

Anyway, Reilly Kate adamantly denied Kevin was her boyfriend.

"Then John's your boyfriend," Roman said with confidence. John is a nice little boy that is in Reilly Kate's swimming class. Very cute and nice and normal. It'd never work between them.

She denied John, too.

"Then who, Tutu? Who's your boyfriend?" It seemed Roman really wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery man.

"My boyfriend is Brett and he's a grown up."

I'm so glad Brett's on the other side of the planet, modelling his way through Asia. I'm sure he's glad of it, too. Poor guy. I didn't have the heart to break it to Reilly Kate that Brett already has a girlfriend and that she too is a grown up.

I wonder if Kevin knows about Brett. I wonder if there's dueling on the Planet Weird. This summer romance is shaping up to be quite the drama as seen from my backyard deck. Stay tuned....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, she confirmed this to me on the phone as well. I asked if Kevin was her boyfriend and she said he was the #2 boyfriend becuase Brett is #1.I remembered his name and said isn't he a grown up with a girlfriend? She said that doesnt matter to her. Kevin is just the time passer.Poor Kevin he might have his heart broke by a 5 year old.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home