Friday, May 18, 2007

Golden Slumber

A friend of a friend. A flimsy connection. Wouldn't know her if she bumped right into me. But my heart aches, my soul weeps. For her. I mourn. With her. She lost her 5 month old baby girl. On Mother's Day. Not that it would have mattered what day. Mother's Day.

The sweet innocence of a new life shattered. A bright future burned out before the flame could even flicker. A daddy without his girl. Two sisters without their third. A mother whose milk doesn't know to quit flowing. Faith shattered. What was God thinking?

A baby laid in their arms only to be ripped away mere months later. A sweet faced girl never to grow into beauty. Promises of kindergarten graduation, a drivers license, first loves, growing old, getting wrinkles and gray hair... all broken by a peaceful death in her sleep a hundred years too soon.

As my baby lies next to me each night, I lean in and whisper, "Don't leave us. Stay, sweet love. Stay." It's a fear all mothers have. It is now one mother's reality. Her baby drifted off, too far to ever come back. If only they came with anchors to our hearts.

What was God thinking? To take one child away will force the rest of us to appreciate what we have a little more? Perhaps. I had a bit more patience today. My love flowed a little freer. I took more pictures. A lot more. Maybe that was little Abby's destiny. We all must meet it. Some just sooner than others.


Golden slumber kiss your eyes,
Smiles await you when you rise.
Sleep,
pretty baby,
Do not cry,
And I'll sing you a lullaby.

Care you know not,
Therefore sleep,
While I o'er you watch do keep.
Sleep,
pretty darling,
Do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby.


If you are so moved, memorials can be made to the DuPage Community Foundation, Attn: Abigail Catherine Mueller Children's Fund, 2100 Manchester Rd, Building A, Suite #303, Wheaton, IL 60187.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...thanks for that Heather....My heart has been aching for that little girl and her family.

~Kristin

8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank You Heather! I type this with tears streaming down my cheeks. She was a beautiful baby and her family will miss her so much. You are such a good friend.

Amy

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that is so sad.....

12:59 PM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

how sad... something I was just talking about in counseling just yesterday how I never fully felt the weight of all of Dylan's medical problems when he was born.. how easily we could have lost him.

Mueller.. wonder if there is a connection.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home