Tuesday, June 22, 2004

From the Mouth (and Arse) of Babes

We're in the midst of a mega family invasion. My parents brought my neice here as her eighth grade graduation gift and my dad's cousin, her husband, and their three children are also here on our island paradise from Altoona, Pennsylvania.

Things are hectic, but fun and full of love. Since I don't live near any family, I am always moved by the love I am enveloped in when they come to see us. It's a warm and fuzzy, cozy kind of thing to see my children cared for by family they hardly know and rarely see. Love truly is a wonderful thing.

On Father's Day we attended mass at Hickam Air Force Base. During a quiet lull, my daughter who was sitting on my dad's lap, announces, "Pap's got dirty ears. He didn't take a bath. Him's dirty. He needs to take a bath!" My poor dad heard all the people behind him tittering as the priest began to pray.

We later tried to explain to her that Pap indeed did take a bath and that his ears were not in fact dirty. That what she thought was dirt was really hair. But she didn't buy it. "No. No hair in ears. Them's dirty!"

It would seem that my poor dad is the target of her comedic lashings. She later announced, "Pap's got no muscles. He needs to get some muscles." And when asked why he has no muscles, she replied matter of factly, "Cuz he's got diarrhea in his pants!" Oh, yes. I see clearly, now, thank you.

Family bonding. Insults and potty talk. What could be more binding? How 'bout a baptism with baby poop?

Roman had a total baby poop blow out, landing some of his excrement on his 12 year old cousin Katelyn and her mom, Lauri. All three of them had poop everywhere. Roman had it all the way up to his neck. Katie had it on her swimming suit. Lauri was still finding baby poop on her clothes and hands hours later, despite a good nurse's scrubbing (she's a NICU nurse) in hot soapy water.

It's a good family trip. We're all feeling the love. And who wouldn't with words and poop like that?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home