Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Retarded and the Art of Ann Coulter

So I had planned on writing up some FAQs tonight, seeing as it is Down Syndrome AWARENESS month and all.  As anyone who has a child with DS will tell you, we get a lot of questions (and comments) so I've got a lot of material.  But then this was presented to me.  Like a gift.  Wrapped up all pretty and shit.  Just waiting for me to rip it apart.


The funny thing about that Ann Coulter (AKA The Cunter): she's not so fucking funny.  The funny thing about me: I'm not so fucking pissed.

Here's why I don't give a rip that Coulter used the so called "R" word:  It has nothing to do with my son.  Nothing.  Yes, yes, I know most in the Down syndrome community get their knickers all in a twist over use of the word "retarded."  I've even heard some moms get offended that pajamas are labeled "flame retardant." I wish I was kidding.  I am not.  They get upset because the word once was used to describe people with cognitive disabilities.  Like my son.  But the word has become derogatory to mean someone or something that is fucked up.  Like, for example, Ann Coulter herself.

So many resources are wasted trying to do away with the word "retard." If only that much was directed toward research and therapy to TREAT Down syndrome.  I just don't understand it.  And, quite frankly, I think sometimes they wind up doing the opposite of what they intended.  Take for example this PSA:




At about ten seconds in, he says, "When I hear people use the 'R' word, retard, I think of my friends at Special Olympics."

Hey, buddy, do me a favor and DON'T think of sweet, smart, funny, hard working Kelly when you hear the word "retard," okay?  Think, instead, of the fucking retard who wrote your dumb ass PSA!  How's that for a pledge?

I don't want Kelly's extra chromosome to make him, or any of us, outsiders.   I don't want people to clam up or feel they must watch what they say when they're around us.  If the punchline of the joke is "RETARD!" I want Kelly to get it and to laugh, knowing full well that it has nothing to do with him, no matter how short the bus is that he rides.  As one who specializes in self deprecating humor, I hope someday Kelly can laugh at himself and make others laugh, too.  It's therapeutic and immunizing and every bit human.  And he is perfectly, wonderfully human.

I have, however, found myself calling out my friends and family when they sling "retarded" around like it's just another word for asshole.  With the heavy duty military family I got, that's a pretty hefty feat.  If it doesn't offend me, why do I bother?  Well, for one, everyone who loves Kelly is a part of his clan and his clan has a foot in the Down syndrome community.  You don't spit your gum out where you have to walk.

And, too, if people are really that offended, I think we should make an effort to find another word, a better, more fitting, perhaps more vulgar word.  I mean, honestly, if the best you've got in your vocabulary arsenal is some 9 year old school yard bully shite, you're pretty much... well... retarded.

Which brings me back full circle to Ann Coulter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home