Monday, October 01, 2012

31 for 21

I am the worst blogger in the history of the blogosphere.  I have yet to write parts 2 and 3 of Kelly's birth story.  But I will.  It's coming.  It's on the to do list.  It's long and painful, but has to be done.  Like bikini waxing.  Or sorting through the orphan socks bin.  Or Christmas shopping.

Until then, or perhaps simultaneously, I'll be posting once per day for the next 31 days.  October being Down Syndrome Awareness Month and all.  They call it "31 for 21."

My name is Heather and my son has Down syndrome.

That sounds like a confession, doesn't it?  And perhaps, in some way, it is.  There's a certain amount of guilt that sits in your gut when something goes wrong with your child.  Even if it was not your fault, or was preventable, whether it was fate or the will of God, it doesn't matter.  The guilt is there.  I'm an older mom, almost 40 when Kelly was born.  He most likely got that extra chromosome from my out of date eggs.  So, yeah, somewhere between pride and joy sits guilt.  It's a wasted emotion so most of the time I allow it to just idle away, paying it no mind.  But sometimes, I pay it homage.

My name is Heather and my son has Down syndrome.

Now that I got that out of the way, prepare to raise your DS IQ this month.  Awareness, baby.  Get you some!!

Oh, and by the way, my son, Kelly, he walked today.  On his own.  Little steps.  Four in all.  Toward a pop machine.   And THAT, my dear readers, is the PRIDE and JOY!

2 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Fantastic. You and him!

5:58 AM  
Blogger Celebrating Phoenix said...

I love this!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home