Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Swing Low, Sweet Charity

John was one of the first people we met when we moved here over a year ago. He's one of those dynamic, charismatic personality types. A bachelor and a real ladies man, the kids took to him immediately and I have to admit, so did I.

He's athletic: both an accomplished swimmer and an avid tennis player with a keen interest in car racing. I'm not sure he plays golf, but I can tell you, nothing would look more natural than John on a golf course holding a nine iron.

He's well spoken and mildly opinionated with an infectious laugh and a devastatingly handsome grin. His comedic timing has more than once sent this weak bladder into quivering spasms. His tender, sweet side has had me moved to tears, weeping with the poetry that seems to just pour out of him effortlessly.

Like us, he's a traveller, having toured his way through North America and Europe. He enjoys international and exotic cuisines just as much as we do, trading traditional American garbage for hummus or Szechuan.

He has a penchant for Irish music and late night delirious dancing. He enjoys a good party with friends and family and can always be found in the center of the action.

And John is wise. Very wise. He has the soulful eyes of one who has lived, seen, and understands.

Yet John is just 5 years old. Life has dealt him a hand that has forced this maturity. John has Type 1 Diabetes. He literally battles it every day, all day. I've witnessed his sugar highs and lows and watched as his mother lovingly prick his finger to test his blood sometimes multiple times each hour. Yes, each hour. Hour after hour. Trying to get his blood sugar under control. It is heartbreaking. And yet for John, it is. It just is.

This Sunday the kids and I will be walking with John in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund Walk to Find a Cure. What I didn't know, before I met John is that Type 1 diabetes is thought to be caused by a virus and that a cure is right around the corner. I was stunned. A CURE for diabetes.

I swore that I would not donate a dime to anything outside the Democratic cause this year. But this tugged at my heartstrings. How could it not? It's for John. And for millions of kids like him.

Don't believe me about John? Take a look for yourself. You'll find, he's quite a kid. This is a quick video clip of a speech he made about the need to find a cure for diabetes. Watch it. Then follow the link and donate a little. Just a teeny little bit. The kids and I will match what you donate, dime for dime. So a $5 donation is really like a $10 donation. It's like magic that way. And for all you Republicans, remember, every dollar donated is one more I cannot send to the DNC. I knew I could appeal to you greedy types somehow.



Visit our donation page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home