Sunday, October 07, 2012

Lions and Tigers and Mongoloids

I haven't had more than 4 hours sleep in just as many days.  Plus, I officiated on deck for our swimmers at a meet that lasted from 9am till 5pm.  That's two long meets in a row.  I'm so exhausted I can hardly type.

But I didn't want to drop the ball this early into my challenge.  And I have a really great story.  So, I'll write as much as I can until I pass out completely.

On the pool deck, I was assigned to a man named John.  Through the course of conversation, I told him that Kelly had Down syndrome.  He got very exciteed and pointed out a young man helping by the finish wall who also had DS.

"I've worked paralympics and special olympics for a long time.  I've worked with them all.  Down syndromes, mongoloids, palsies.  I even had a kid with no arms and legs."

I'll be honest.  I was shocked.  I'd never had someone use that term in my presence before.  I just stood there with a stupid grin on my face and nervously giggled.  But, it's hard, extremely hard, to offend me so I just kept listening, stupid grin still firmly in place.

I'm so glad I didn't tune him out.  He had a great attitude and really does have experience dealing with people with all different types of abilities and disabilities.

"Treat your son like any of your other kids.  If you treat him like a baby, he'll grow up to be a baby.  Then you'll have a 40 year old baby."

"Remember, he's just as smart as the others.  He just learns different."

"Do not ever tell him he can't do something.  Don't ever say "can't."  I tell kids there is no "can't."  There's just "can" and "won't."  He CAN!!  And he will.  You'll see."

"Put him in the water.  Tell him he will swim.  He can and he will."

"No matter what it is that he wants to do, remind me that he CAN.  If you tell him he can and he believes he can, he will achieve more than you ever thought possible."

Words.  They're powerful.  Don't allow the meaningless ones to get in your way of hearing the ones that really and truly matter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Celebrating Phoenix said...

Can you imagine if you had discounted his message just because he didn't use people first language?

10:12 PM  
Blogger The Histrionics of a Fat Housewife said...

Yep. That's it. All the people first in the world won't change anyone's attitude if their attitude sucks. Some of the most people first I've met have the attitude that their children "can't." Fuck that. I don't care if this dude calls my kid a mongoloid (as long as it's not to his face). I want him to be on deck when Kelly swims his first race! I want him to tell Kelly he CAN because this dude truly, whole heartedly, and genuinely believes HE CAN!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This post covers and excellent point. My dad says things that are no longer "politically correct" but he is an extremely decent, loving and accepting man, of all people. He is also a man of action so you really know where his heart and intention is if you take any time at all to get to know him.

Ya, it can be a bit awkward and even embarrassing at times when he uses a term that is deemed currently unacceptable. I say current because these things are always changing as our understanding evolves. Unfortunately, dear old dad isn't always capable of keeping up with the changes, but that doesn't matter because he has always been a decent, loving accepting man no matter what comes out of his mouth. It is the heart and the intention that matter, more than words do.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home