Monday, March 10, 2008

There's no place like... Mom's Closet?

As you may or may not know, I'm now the proud member of a homeschool group. Yes, those of us so independent minded that we refuse to send our children to institutionalized learning facilities cling to one another like little monkeys in a hurricane. And we have a book club, too. We're reading The Wizard of Oz.

I'm hosting the club which is pretty interesting as I have never even been to a book club before. I'm a good bluffer. After all, I did teach English in Korea for a couple of years. That qualifies me as bluffer extraordinaire.

I've invited all the children to dress up as their favorite character from the book. Reilly Kate is trying to decide between the Tin Woodman and Toto. I'm pulling for Toto as he will be a much easier costume.

Roman wants to be...

Dorothy.

"Dorothy is my favorite character," he insists.

"But what about the Lion? He's cool. And he roars and everything." I push, just slightly.

"Yeah, he's cool. But Dorothy is my favorite," he maintains.

"But the Lion talks like this," I tell him in my best Southern drawl. I do accents when I read to the kids to help them distinguish each character. The Lion is a hick in my world.

"Yeah, but Mom [which sounds like Mah-ah-ahm with a whine], you said pick my favorite character and Dorothy is my favorite character."

"I'll have to put your hair up in pig tails," I inform him rather snappily.

"Alright," he sighs.

"And you'll have to wear a dress," was my final blow to his budding manliness.

He looked down at his feet and took a deep breath. Then he looked up at me and said, "Okay. I'll wear a dress."

And so it is, that my son, his father's only son, his father's father's only grandson, his father's father's father's only great grandson (need I go on?) is dressing as Dorothy this Thursday.

I'll keep ya posted.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUT Dorothy is his favorite charactor!!! But maybe he will wear boots or carry a back pack or something different. again cant get in.. love ya oma

10:35 AM  
Blogger kmahalo said...

trying again just for fun. computers uugghh. but the grandkids are perfect

10:37 AM  
Blogger Dave MacCannell said...

Ha ha ha. I always hated that movie. It freaked me out. Still does. Never read the book. But if I had to choose a favourite character, (again movie not book), I'd choose Dorothy too. Judy Garland was a babe!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Just think how boring your blog would be without these kids! Where ever would you get your material? ;o)

11:10 PM  
Blogger Marrisa said...

Hi Heather! Brilliant blog!
You were right about us week bladdered mothers needing a pad, you have some bloody funny stuff here lady!
Thanks for being the sunshine in my day, I will probably never meet you yet seem to know you so much already!
Best wishes sweetie
Marrisa (The Dawes Family)

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home