Thursday, July 05, 2007

Go Cubbies!


They actually won tonight!

Oh, sure they lost yesterday and all. But that's part of the beauty of being a Cubs' fan. By the age of 12 we're well seasoned to disappointment. Darwin's theory has weedled down through generations of Cubs' fans ridding us of the weak and easily crushed. Let them go and be Sox fans, both Red and White. We, the strongly pessimistic will happily continue to be Cubs fans knowing full well we'll meet our maker before we'll see a World Series. And that's just fine by us... most of the time.

But every once in a while I let my dreams get the better of me. Stupid, I know. But yesterday, going into that game, the Cubs had won 10 out of 11 games. They were showing real promise of winning a game that I would actually be there to see. Something that has never happened to me, no matter the dozens of Cubs' games I've sweat through in my lifetime. I tried to keep myself in check. As we sat in our seats, right in front of some Nats fans, I congratulated them on what was sure to be a great Nationals' victory.

"No, the Cubs are looking good," they said. "Your team'll do well."

About five minutes later, the first home run of the day rocketed into the stands and the Nats had the lead. It only got worse from there.

After having stood in 4 different lines, missing a full inning, so as to spend close to $40 for 4 hot dogs, 2 bags of chips, and 2 pops, Reilly Kate and I walked back to our seat to the thunderous cheers of a happy Nationals' crowd thrilled at Grand Slam.

"Uh oh," I said to Reilly Kate. "The sound of this can't be good for us."

"Why?" she asked.

"We're Cubs' fans, sweetie. That's why."


And so it was, that my children should be indoctrinated into what is a rite of passage for those in both my and Mike's families. They came home crashing from a Cracker Jack high, whining from exhaustion, playing with their souvenir bobble heads, and dreaming of the day that the will Cubs win.

I think we have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions lottery. But a kid's gotta dream.


By the way, my Burn my Flag post had pictures on there, through Blogger, up until sometime yesterday. All my other pictures are still on there. And these seemed to upload just fine. But mysteriously my flag burning picture along with a lovely pose of the BITCH turned into red Xs. Huh. Wonder what that was about? Alas, there's Photobucket. They've made it all right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacCannell said...

Yay Cubs! And HEY Marshall got me 29 points in the pool. 5 and a third solid innings but he didn't get the win. Dang! Those are awesome pics! Did you get on TV? The whole family fully decked out in Cubs colours. They really should have put you on TV during the 7th inning stretch or something. But I see from the pic that the Cubs aren't hurting for fan support. Plenty of fans to film. The place was pretty full eh? The flag pic is viewable again. Did you stand up during the anthem, Heath? Maybe the people looked at what you were wearing and thought well even if she's not a fan of the country at least she's a Cubs fan and were satisfied. Heh heh.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the picture's!!! Go Cubbies. I was watching for you guys on the tv. Love the outfits and the sign as well

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

At least you guys were color-coordinated.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home