Thursday, June 07, 2007

That's a Keeper

We were at Kohl's today and after being warned 2,349,182 times NOT to climb on the side of the cart because she might tip it over, Reilly Kate tipped over the cart -- with Irina in it. Fortunately, I was within arms' reach and caught the baby and the cart before either could hit the floor. Given my penchant for histrionics, I screamed as I performed aforementioned rescue, bringing even more attention to the entire scene. Yay me!

I sat Reilly Kate down and gave her a berating in the most civil tone I've ever berated her in. So enraged was I that if I had brought my voice level even one notch above a steady, audible whisper, I'd probably have lost all control and escalated it up to full blown shrieking. After a few minutes, when I could push the cart without shaking, we proceeded with our shopping.

After some time, Reilly Kate started talking very loudly, saying ridiculous stuff to try to embarrass me in retaliation for her berating. A lovely girl, isn't she?

"What?" she screeched. "You don't want me anymore?"

At least she wasn't screaming "Help me! Somebody call the police!" like she's done several times in the past.

"I never said I didn't want you, Reilly Kate," I told her.

"Why? Why don't you want me?" she asked with a wail.

"Well," said a woman standing nearby, "I could give you five reasons and I've only seen you for about 20 minutes."

And there you have it. I wish she'd shared with us her reasons, though. I have about 2,349,182 and could use five more. But I'll keep her just the same. For now.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!

You, my dear have just lived a day in my life. Congratulations.

Ro
www.thirtyish.org
www.theblogcafe.net

10:11 PM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

OMG someone FINALLY put that girl in her place! ughh I soooo wish I had been there..

9:09 AM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

oh wait.. and this woman is a complete stranger.. you should have taken her name down so you could send her name and prince of peace award to Guinness book!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, I can't stop laughing. I bet RK did not like that. But Just like the chair at the dining room table she is warned and warned but it does no good. Just glad that sweet adorable innocent baby was ok. I would have been shaking all day.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dave MacCannell said...

That's so encouraging! Last time I visited Canada the kids were firmly in control. I think giving a child a public shaming for doing something dangerous she has been warned about 2,349,182 times was punishable by death. And passers-by weren't supposed to support you, they were supposed to do their civic duty and give you shocked or stern, tsk tsk looks for that. Good for that lady! She's a star on your blog and doesn't know it. Although children's services might be running background checks on the both of you right now...

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love strangers sometimes.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!! Tammi

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home