Saturday, September 16, 2006

Round and Round

I'm working on sorting through the almost 1,000 pictures we took in Vietnam. I'll post them with a write up of our trip later. Probably in a couple installments. Stay tuned.

But I have to post about this conversation I had with a pharmacist at the base hospital. Reilly Kate has yet another UTI and they've had trouble finding a good antibiotic to that the bacteria she has isn't resistant to (don't get me started on my issue with the over use of antibiotics or how they'd like to put my daughter on prophylactic antibiotics which would only increase her immunity to the antibiotics effectiveness -- I hate doctors! But I already covered that. On to our show!). I went on Friday to pick up the new try. Here's a transcript of my conversation with the pharmacist as recorded by my brain (I have almost perfect recall, I swear!).

Pharm: Give every 6 hours.

Me: Yeah, the doctor said four times daily.

Pharm: No, every 6 hours.

Me: My daughter is only four. She sleeps for 12 hours straight at night. Every six hours isn't possible unless I wake her.

Pharm: Yes, wake her. Every 6 hours.

Me: So you want me to wake her in the middle of the night, give her the meds, brush her teeth and you expect that she'll go back to sleep. Do you have children?

Pharm: Yes, every 6 hours.

(At this point she is giggling and smiling a mile wide, toothy grin that makes me want to knock her fucking lights out except that I know it is a Korean reaction to confrontation -- they smile and laugh when faced with disagreement. Well, except North Koreans, they never smile.)

Me: Do you have children? There is no way I'm going to be able to even get this into her in the middle of the night, let alone brush her teeth. And if I was able to wake her enough for that, I'd never get her back down.

Pharm: Brush teeth? Brush teeth? No brush teeth. Just give medicine. Every 6 hours.

(Let me tell you if you don't already know, Koreans are obsessive tooth brushers. Even more so than my dear, dental obsessed friend Kristin who's teeth are so white they glow in the dark. Yes, they carry their tooth brushes and paste everywhere they go. You can't walk into a bathroom at a restaurant without seeing someone in there brushing their teeth post-meal. It's a national craze! They don't, however, use soap to wash their hands. Go figure.)

Me: That medicine is full of sugar right?

(no response)

Me: If it is full of sugar and I just put her back to bed after giving it to her, what do you think will happen to her teeth?

(Oh, and by the way, the water we drink isn't fluoridated either)

Pharm: Only 10 days. Every 6 hours.

Me: I think a dentist might disagree with you.

Pharm: Okay. Every 5 hours, okay.

Me: Well, we'll see. She'll get it four times a day.

Pharm: No, this is an antibiotic and she needs it every 6 hours. Men here in hospital, we wake them and give them medicine and they go back to sleep. All night long, we wake.

Me: My daughter isn't a man. Or even a soldier. She's a 4 year old little girl with an infection who needs her sleep.

Pharm: But anyway, give every 6 hours.

Me: Yes, four times a day.

(Now we are both smiling at one another with a murderous look in our eyes. Very cordial.)

Pharm: Must be taken with food.

Me: Huh? What? (my smile was now gone)

Pharm: It is very important that you give with food. This medicine is very bad for stomach.

Me: Let me get this straight. You want me to wake my daughter up at midnight, feed her, give her this medicine, NOT brush her teeth, then send her off to bed and expect her to sleep and be well rested? Is this what you think is going to happen?

Pharm: (the giggling and smiling had reached comedic proportions at this point) It is important to eat before taking this medicine.

Me: Do you understand what you are saying? I cannot do this!

Pharm: But anyway, every 6 hours.

(Cue in the song Round and Round by Ratt. Anybody remember that one? If you don't, hit the link and scroll down. Amazon offers a sample of it to trigger your memory. If you still don't recall, then... Oh, God, I'm old. )

And that was the end. I couldn't take another second. I grabbed the medication and left, reminded once again why I dislike the entire medical establishment. I felt like I'd just done a verbal gerbil wheel marathon. Who, I ask, is the winner? It certainly isn't Reilly Kate.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

Why would you trust the word of a pharmacist over a doctor and then one that can't even comprehend the English language, lol?! I always do what the dr. instructs and you should, too. Hope she gets and feels better soon!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

I love Ratt.. couldn't ever forget them.. in fact I did have the song "you're in love" on my myspace profile for a few weeks and everyone complained it reminded them of high school!

okay, so how is she doing on the meds being woken up, force fed, force teeth brushed, etc...???

8:57 PM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

ohhh and btw, changed that girls bubble bath, shampoo, soap everything that touches her yoni, that was my problem as a kid.. mr bubble wasn't any good for my yoni. I still have to be careful about bar soap and can only use masingill intimate cleanser or I'm in hell.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

anonymous you f'in suck

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I am not Anonymous...it's me...Kristin...I don't feel like choosing an identity. i know this is overdue...but I hope you got the whole med thing figured out. There is no way in HELL I would wake up my kids to take their medicine...unless their life was in danger...they sleep! I love your Korean encounters babe! They keep a smile on my dreary face!

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home