Monday, November 03, 2008

The way I see it: The choice is clear

They say one shouldn't talk about politics or religion in polite company.  You know, politics and religion are my two favorite topics, and I am far from polite company.  So far, in fact, I'm gonna throw in abortion.  Right here.  On my blog.  The night before perhaps the most important election of my life.

I have to.

The kids and I have walked all over our little Virginia town, knocking on doors, talking to people about the election.  I love field work.  I love rolling up my sleeves and earning votes, walking the neighborhoods and meeting voters.  Plus, I get to dip my fingers in the pot of democracy and sneak a little taste of the election.  The brew this time around tastes pretty damn sweet, I gotta tell ya.

But one thing that keeps popping up, whether it's on a front porch or in my inbox or across my driveway, is abortion.

Such a volatile, divisive topic -- pitting good people against each other with fear and hatred, forcing voters to support candidates they dislike, and tearing apart our electoral process.   Over the years, I've grown to loathe the topic, despite my militantly pro-choice stance.  There is no safe ground on which to stand in the abortion arena.  As a result, nothing really changes.  Abortion rates stay the same.  Laws shift ever so slightly.  Everyone keeps their eyes on the Supreme Court.

For many reasons, this election is different than others in recent memory.  I've met many people who want to vote for Barack Obama, but feel conflicted over the abortion issue.  They, pro-life Christians, don't want to betray what they believe is a moral imperative to make abortion illegal.  Despite the fact that pro-life Republican Presidents have occupied the White House more often than not since Roe v. Wade, abortion remains legal.  Obviously, then, the solution to the abortion problem isn't just electing someone who is pro-life.  

Maybe, just maybe the solution is electing someone who wants to reduce the need for abortion.  To that end, Obama has pledged to get both sides to sit down together, to work together, and see that women and children are respected and prioritized.  We are facing tough, really tough economic times ahead.  The most vulnerable  are poor women and their children.   Women living under the poverty level make up the majority of abortion patients.  Without economic protections and changes in our system of safety nets, we will see a marked increase.  

I started writing this earlier today.  This evening a good friend sent me a link to this website.  Prolife ProObama.  How's that for God working in strange ways?  If you are feeling conflicted, please go and take a look.  Doug Kmiec has some really good articles on why he, a leader in the pro-life movement, is supporting Barack Obama -- even at the risk of being turned out of his own Church.

Okay, people.  I need to go to bed.  Election day is always an early day and I'm getting so tired, I'm falling asleep as I type.

Remember, get out and vote.  Whatever you do, vote.  And, if you're in Chicago, vote often.



1 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacCannell said...

You know what's gonna suck about Obama winning? Saturday Night Live. That's probly it. Well and the Daily Show and Colbert Report. And that's about it. Well and Letterman and Leno and Conan. Is comedy a good reason to vote for McCain?

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home