Monday, March 12, 2007

My little runaway, a run run run run runaway

Reilly Kate decided to runaway this morning. Down the stairs she came with her suitcase all packed, wearing nothing but her jammies, barefoot and all.

"I'm leaving," she said.

"I'm running away unless everyone around here stops yelling at me, telling me what to do, being nasty to me, and giving me punishments."

Extortion by a five year old.

I was game for it. Indeed, I thought her running away was a grand idea. I wouldn't have to attempt any of that homeschool bullshit. I wouldn't have to brush her hair or her teeth. And given her nasty mouth, I thought we could all use the break. Besides,I knew she wouldn't go far. She's not allowed to leave the yard and she had swimming lessons at 11 o'clock which I knew she wouldn't want to miss.

"Alright," I agreed.

"What ya got packed in there?" I asked and motioned toward her suitcase.

"I've got Jeffery (her ever present stuffed elephant), a frisbee, a pillow, some rocks, a picture of Nathan and Wesley (her friends in Chicago), and one Laffy Taffy," she told me as she opened the lid to show me.

"Well, you better get some shoes on then," I said.

As she was rummaging around the front hall for her shoes, I went to open the front door. I got as far as the unlocking the deadbolt when Roman came charging in, frantic and sobbing.

"No! No, no, Mama! My tutu's leaving! No! Please, Mama! My heart is breaking!"

(for those that don't know, "tutu" is RK's nickname)

I bent down and picked him up. Tears were streaming down his face. He was genuinely upset. His heart really was breaking. Poor guy.

Reilly Kate wound up staying home. I'm not sure if it was Roman's heartbreak or the fact that she didn't want to be outside with only her jammies on. Either way, she's still on punishment till Wednesday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL! I can just picture this. Tammi

9:15 AM  
Blogger Wildsissy said...

OMG f'in halarious! That's like the kids that ran away and just walked around the block over and over because they weren't allowed to cross the street.. she would have wound up in your backyard freezing her tu-tu off!

One Laffy Taffy huh? wow is that enough for her to eat for days on end?

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The apple does not fall far from the extended family tree. I gave my mom the same speech when I was 6 years old and she told me fine, well I went across the street to my friend Adams house at the time and we watched speed racer then it was time for dinner so home I went. His mom wasn't a good cook. You just gotta love that RK.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home