Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pronunciation Lesson

It has recently been brought to my attention that people are confused as to the pronunciation of Irina Kealoha. We're idiots. Never once did it cross our minds that the name we'd chosen would be difficult to pronounce. We both grew up in Chicago where there are more people of Polish descent than any other city in the world -- including Warsaw. Irina is the Makenzie of Slavs.

So for those of you outside the Windy City, let me give you a clue. It is like the name Irene but with an A at the end. Eye-Reen-Ah. She is named after my maternal grandmother, Irene (yes, Sissy, Grandma Irene).

And since we both lived in Hawaii the longest period of time we've lived anywhere since leaving Chicago, Kealoha also never seemed difficult to us. It's a fairly common Hawaiian name (Hawaiian names being primarily relagated to middle names). And is used as a family name as well as a given name. It means love which I think is appropriate for a girl born on St. Valentine's Day. It is pronounced just like the word "aloha" with the word "kay" in front of it. Kay-Uh-Low-Ha. Kealoha. Don't say KEE-aloha. Say KAY-aloha.

That is all for today. Class dismissed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wildsissy said...

wow people were having problems with her name... wow, maybe because, like you said I'm from Chicago, but seriously.. it doesn't seem to be a hard name.. ughh well I guess Dylan didn't seem like a hard name but it's get mispronounced more than you'd ever think! Well either way, those of us who love and adore little Irina already will surely be calling her a million other names, but we'll always know how to say her proper name.. ohhh and by the way.. I changed RK's name again, it's now

Rei Kay Pee Spi

Nice huh? I knew you wouldn't like it! lol! ;)

I'm so excited you named her after Grandma Irene. She was an amazing woman. I miss her... :(

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be glad to know that I got her name right...having been to Hawaii several times in my life, I have a good grasp of their language. In addition to that, I'm Polish! So, I lucked out with this one, huh?? See? I knew I wasn't an idiot! LOL!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home