Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Go buy the Dixie Chicks Album

Yes, go now. Leave this blog where it's at on your browser and go buy Taking the Long Way. I'll wait. Go on now. Go!

I'm about to get political on you guys so if you don't want to read, leave now. I don't pull out my politics often sans a few mean spirited jabs here and there. But I'm about to purge my system of a couple of things that are gnawing at my spirit.

As you probably have heard, the Dixie Chicks have been on the outs with many of their fans in the red states. The fallout of a simple statement made at a concert in London by lead singer, Natalie Maines. The quote: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

Fair enough. They are ashamed to share a home state with George Bush. They are ashamed of George Bush. They are ashamed. Fully within their right, if you ask me. To a be a patriotic American does not require you like the president, his government, or his policies. Americans have a duty to speak and act and participate in our democracy. It is the democratic process.

But that quote got Maines and the two other Chicks in a washtub of scalding water. She and her bandmates were called horrible names, their music was pulled off store shelves and radio stations held parties to burn their pictures, cds, concert tickets. etc. They even received death threats. Yes, death threats. Why? Because they don't like the president?

Ann Coulter, the slut who penned the trash entitled Treason (and yes, I did just call her a slut -- she is, look it up) refers to the Democratic Party as "functionally treasonable" and writes of the treason Presidents Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, and Clinton are guilty of. Huh. Where is the outrage for this? If Maines cannot even express her shame of the president without getting death threats, one would think Coulter's head would be prominently displayed on a spike somewhere for calling the majority of the last century's presidents traitors.

Where's her head, then, because I wanna see?

I just don't get it and it drives me ape shit. You see, Mike and I live in the military community which is a very hostile place for those with our political views. Really, downright hostile. We see it and hear it and have to take it day in and day out. Swallowing that much bile is bound to make us sick.

A few weeks ago I was at a dinner party. An acquaintance of mine off handedly remarked that Marines assigned to the White House during President Clinton's tenure had refused to salute him. I was stunned to say the least. I was, and a part of me will always remain, a military wife. Saluting is part of the culture of honor held in high regard by those wearing the uniform. To salute the Commander in Chief is such a high honor for any service member that to do otherwise is to sully the very uniform they proudly display. Regardless of party affiliation or personal political beliefs. I was dumbstruck, honestly.

According to Snopes, it is just an untrue rumor. I'd like to believe that. But the woman that told me this is an officer in the Navy and someone I respect and admire and believe. Plus, it wasn't like she read it on a bathroom wall somewhere. She was told this by a man she knew from school, a Marine Corp helicopter pilot assigned to fly President Clinton on Marine One. Given that, I tend to believe it. Which is an utter disgrace. I am ashamed to be from the same country as that pilot.

In defiance of what is becoming a one sided discourse on patriotism, I am going out and buying several copies of the new Dixie Chicks album. Not because I like their music -- personally, I hate that hillbilly shite. But because they deserve a salute for being honest, forthright patriots.

God bless America -- and may the majority of her citizens wake the fuck up before it is too late. Amen.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacCannell said...

right on! If present polls are to be believed more people in America like liver than the president. So I don't think you or the Dixie Chicks are alone on this one Heath.

2:57 PM  
Blogger James said...

The Dixie Chicks were very well recieved last night on David Letterman with the song Not Ready To Make Nice.
As the show ended, Letterman went out of his way afterwards to hold up the latest Time Magazine (with the Chicks on the cover) and asked if America was ready to listen to them again after being labeled unpatriotic.
The crowd roared with approval as Dave answered his own question; " I'd have to say yes."

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! For speaking up on what a lot of us are thinking! :o)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Chandira said...

That was an awesome rant, best I've read in a while. You go girl!

I don't like the Dixie Chicks music either, but I might just go buy a copy anyway.

Sorry you're sucking up so much bullshit from your military people. Here's a bit of love at you to make up for it..

6:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen! Ya know.. I liked the Dixie Chicks and I like Toby Keith and that stupidity and downright abusive behavior from him made me lose all respect. Do I still like his music? Yep. Would I buy his music? Probably not because he's an arrogant ass. But I'd definitely buy The Dixie Chicks. It's a shame that people feel they must hate someone simply because they're opinions differ. Doesn't Jay Leno make fun of Bush all the time? I see no one boycotting HIM.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

Oh I so agree! So much I want to say, but it is late. I am very frustrated at the culture of this country these days. When did it become unpatriotic to simply state your opinion, for good or nil?

1:08 AM  
Blogger The Histrionics of a Fat Housewife said...

I just went to the PX to follow my own advice and buy myself a copy or five.

Surprise, surprise! Not a copy of it in the whole place. Not a single copy of any Dixie Chicks albums, in fact. Just a place marker where they used to have albums, before that liberal bitch got mouthy.

I asked the manager if they expected the new album any time soon. "Um. Don't know. Could be. Got a shipment in today. But I didn't see any of their albums in the boxes. Over a hundred boxes, though. Could be. Check back later."

Shocker, I know. But I will be back. I'll be back and often. And if they don't have it, I'm gonna make them order it for me. Oh, yes, I will.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Chandira said...

Good for you.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

I'm sorry dear. It's physically impossible for me to go out and spend money on anything country-related. I actually just read about Maine's big mouth yesterday and now I like them even less, lol. But whatever, if you enjoy it, go for it!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Lydia Netzer said...

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I really thought the Dixie Chicks thing had blown over. I'm so tired of all that.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info http://www.kids-domain.info/Domains21.html Removing impurities from percocet

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home