Monday, October 29, 2012

The Cure

One of the things you may read when looking up Down syndrome is that it is incurable.

Yes, Down syndrome, at this point is incurable.

There has been much talk of the new early detection prenatal test being the "cure" to Down syndrome.  Denmark has made it a goal to become the world's first Down syndrome free country.  But, as I talked about before, termination isn't the cure.  Honestly, I'm not even sure that a "cure" should be a goal toward which we strive.  In addition to the negative aspects of Down syndrome, there are some positives.  So preventing it, or curing it -- which would be the only real cure, isn't really something I would like to see happen.

Treating the disabilities that come along with it, though, is not only desirable, it's attainable.

Already we know a lot about how the brain works, but learning more about how to make these kids' brains work more efficiently could open the entire world to them.  It wasn't too long ago that people with Down syndrome were considered to be unteachable.  No one bothered to teach them to read because it was believed they would never learn.  We now know that reading is one of their greatest strengths.

There are scientific trials being done on mice that have been altered to have cognitive disabilities that resemble Down syndrome.  These mice are, by themselves, an amazing, exciting breakthrough.  Before, it wasn't possible to do much testing.

They're testing not only pharmaceuticals, but vitamins and fish oil with a variety of successes... and failures.  I am confident that by the time Kelly reaches adulthood, he will be on some type of a cognitive therapy regime.

In the meantime, we give Kelly vitamins that have been specially formulated for people with Down syndrome.  He gets fish oil and extra vitamin D.  I'll likely add in gingko and curcumin when he gets a little older.  I am going to get serious with his reading program and, as I stated in a previous post, I am encouraging a love of portrait photographs.  He's a smart kid, a great imitator, has an inquisitive nature and a desire to learn.

My goal with all this is to give him an independent life.  I have no desire to change Kelly on a fundamental level.  My desire is just to see him happy, independent, and healthy.  The same as for my other three children.

And that's the cure.